Friday, March 4, 2011

Suffering





What does it mean to suffer? Can anything good come of one who suffers? Are there really people who ask God to grant them suffering?


Over the past several months I have found much suffering in my life. I began a self-renewal in my faith, renouncing my past sins and fully dedicating myself to Christ. I felt so much suffering. I began to despair, feeling as if I would never be worthy enough to be accepted or even loved none-the-less.

After about 4 months of pure misery, I was introduced to St. Faustina's Diary; Divine Mercy in My Soul. Looking back on these months I can say that this was nothing short of a gift from God. I quickly engulfed myself in this diary. I found myself captivated by Jesus' message of Mercy for the whole world. This message was so simple. For the first time I felt that there was something that I could relate to. Jesus tells us, "The greater the sinner, the greater his right to my mercy." After reading this message, I began to find peace in my new endeavors. I was beginning to find myself dealing with suffering better. Don't get me wrong, suffering is still suffering, regardless of the form it takes. The only difference is I began to seek the beauty that comes from this. 

In her diary, St. Faustina says, “Suffering is a great grace; through suffering; the soul becomes like the Savior; in suffering love becomes crystallized; the greater the suffering the purer the love.” In this state, the soul becomes close to Christ. One can even argue that the soul is reunited (for a period of time) with its Maker. I find this quote to be quite impacting. Lets think about this for a moment. At various times in our lives, when do we EVER feel as if we are close to God? When do we ever stop our busy lives long enough to ask Christ for his help? Maybe in drastic situations? A death of a family member maybe? Struggles with friends, and even relationships? When do we ever look at the suffering we are given and thank Christ for the opportunity to grow closer to him? This, in my opinion, is where the true beauty lies. In times of trials, we must look at these sufferings and push for growth. Accept these sufferings openly. Most importantly, we must offer up these sufferings. Hard times will come our way regardless. We must strive to accept suffering willingly. Although it might not be enjoyable, it will carry a lasting affect on one's soul. The outcome becomes our decision. Do we thrive under hardships, or buckle when everyone else waits for us to fail? The answer seems pretty simple to me...

Most recently I have found a new struggle of suffering; humiliation. This form of suffering is often very tough to swallow. Nobody wants to be humiliated. The thing we fear the most is to be "called out", or "put on the spot" in the most in-opportune times. I have found over the last few weeks that my purest intentions, and actions have been easily misconstrued or taken out of context. My first want is to correct the adversary, or explain the situation. In the Diary of St. Faustina she explains the following. “Without humility, we cannot be pleasing to God…not only must one refrain from explaining and defending oneself when reproached with something, but one should rejoice at the humiliation.” I can say this is the hardest of all things; sucking up my own pride in order to humble myself. While this is a lesson that I have not yet mastered, I assure you I will work towards holding my tongue in these situations.

Keep in mind suffering can be offered up for the conversion of sinners, your own sins, and those within your family.

So you may be asking yourself, what is the moral of the story? If anything else, realize that suffering is not meant to be horrific. Through suffering we are brought to our creator; fighting to be made pure and obedient. Continue to remain strong, fight for what is meek and humble. It is through this that we find our greatest happiness.

I leave you with this final thought:
“True works of God always meet opposition and are marked by suffering.” - St. Faustina

Totus Tuus!
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment